I have been in an active declutter mode/purging mission around our house! How can two people have so much stuff!?! This is my theory...Both of us lived on our own for so long before we meet each other. When we moved into our apartment together there was two of everything because we both had things from our own apartments. And then that and all of our other old junk followed us to this house. Well, I finally had enough of it and I went room by room, shelf by shelf, bin by bin going through what we own with a fine tooth comb. There was a lot to be trashed, much to be sold at a garage sale (that I wish I could have tomorrow) and some things to still hang on to. Don't worry, I still saved a bin of old cards and a trunk full of photo albums. Those are the important things to hold onto. Edward even had the task of going through his ENORMOUS BIN of baseball cards (there was probably 4,000 cards in that thing). No joke. It took him a week, but he looked at every stinkin' card and narrowed it down to the big money makers.
When it comes to getting organized, I'm my own worst enemy. I keep things because I persuade myself I'll need them-even if I haven't used them in five years (This is the reason why I had a garbage bag full of tote bags. Like ten of them. Just incase...). There seems to be a security factor in just knowing they're around...somewhere. I also made a mental list of items with a destroy date on them. If I don't end up actually using/wearing them before this summer I. Am. Getting. Rid. Of. Them.
Whew! It took a few weeks, but I feel great! Organized. Efficient. I want start 2011 with a more simple life. What a wonderful feeling...
Amanda, Ed, You guys have a fortune in bins alone. Lol! You should go into business organizing peoples crap. Start at my house first. Love you, Aunt Karen
ReplyDelete