Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Postpartum


I have to start by saying I was NOT one of those people who loved being pregnant or thought it was the best time of my life. In fact, I had 16 weeks of "all day" sickness (nausea and throwing up), then awful heartburn, siatica, muscle pains in my stomach, uncomfortableness, and insomnia throughout the remaining months. I tried to keep my eye on the prize and remind myself that it would all be worth it in the end as I counted down the weeks. I had plans to blog about my pregnancy every month and take monthly belly photos, but just never did (this photo is the only one I took near the end). I think it was because at the time I didn't enjoy much about the whole experience. Now looking back, I do wish I had documented it better (Who knows, maybe I'll still do a pregnancy recap post).

I recently had my six week postpartum check up with my doctor and even though all was well with me, I got really sad when I left. Going to the doctors so frequently (especially towards the end being a once a weeker there), and seeing so much of my doctor (who really only sees patients that are pregnant) was now over. My first pregnancy was over. All the excitement of it and not knowing what to expect throughout, talking about all things baby for nine months, and having people ask me about everything (c'mon, everyone loves a pregnant woman)...the pregnancy and anticipation that had consumed me for almost a year was done. Now I was just another mom in the world.

But motherhood is the next chapter and I'm embracing all that it has to offer. It has been amazing, challenging, rewarding, and exhausting already. I love being a Momma! Everyday I look at Henry and think just a short time ago he wasn't here. I'm still blown away that Edward and I made him and that he grew in my belly. He started as that little blob I saw at my first sonogram and now he's here. I don't think I've cried as much in my life as I have in the last six weeks. And they're happy tears, that's the thing. I just stare at Henry and get so emotional because he is this perfect, precious little being that is ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment